Homemade Vegan Cornbread


This weekend I had a crazy craving for cornbread. Since I'm still on a vegan diet I realized I was going to have to make some changes. So I did some research, made some substitutions, and made this delicious vegan version. It tastes exactly like its non-vegan counterpart, and it's mostly guilt free. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Servings: 9

Ingredients: 
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy milk 
1/4 cup canola oil

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2) Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray
3) Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl
4) Add wet ingredients and beat until smooth (do not over mix)
5) Place mixture in muffin pan filling each cup 3/4 of the way
6) Cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

In hindsight I wouldn't have used the baking cups. The bottoms stuck.

This earth balance butter is creamy, delicious, and totally vegan. 

If you don't plan on eating all these babies at once, place them in a large glad container and leave then on the counter. Putting them in the fridge makes them dry out faster.

Comments

  1. Hi, Samantha:

    I grew up on cornbread. My mother is from Mississippi so she would make cornbread for almost every meal. I am surprised I am not sick of eating but I'm not. Your recipe seems fairly simple. I am sure you will get some good feedback from those who use it.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been eating it like crazy. Trying not to get sick of it myself. It's definitely a great recipe to repeat.

      Delete
  2. The cornbread was wonderful......Ready to make a new batch???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment